Welcome to the Web3 Technology Stack
Disclaimer: This open source resource is a work in progress and is not an exhaustive list of all the projects in the Web3 Tech Stack. This resource should not be interpreted as a promotion or validation of any of the projects herein.
Web 3 is the vision of the serverless internet, the decentralised web. An internet where users are in control of their own data, identity, and destiny.
The [[Web3 Foundation|Web3-Mission-and-Background]] nurtures and stewards technologies and applications in the fields of decentralized web software protocols, particularly those which utilize modern cryptographic methods to safeguard decentralization, to the benefit and for the stability of the Web 3 ecosystem.
Web 3 Tech Stack
The Components of the Tech Stack
- P2P internet overlay protocols
- e.g. Devp2p, Libp2p
- Platform-neutral computation description language
- e.g. EVM, WASM, UTXO
- Data distribution protocols
- e.g. IPFS, Bluzelle, Fluence, Swarm
- Low-trust interaction platforms
- e.g. Polkadot
- Low-trust interaction protocols
- e.g. Ethereum, Bitcoin, Zcash, Polkadot parachains
- Transient data messaging
- e.g. Whisper, Matrix
- Second layer protocols
- e.g. (various)
- Protocol-extensible developer APIs & languages
- e.g. Web3.js, ether.js, oo7.js, Solidity, Rust
- Protocol-extensible user-interface crade
- e.g. Status, Metamask, MyCrypto, Parity